February 10th 9-11am - Working B to help clean rooms. BYO gloves!
March 9th AGM - Please join us for the AGM. Nomination forms will be at front desk - you can nominate self! We are all volunteers so feel free to contribute/offer your skills in any way even if you do not want to be on committee. We are looking for group managers this year to help the conductors etc run the groups. Feel free to offer!
2 more practices before the concert
10 December is concert day - meet at the Old library 12 ish for sound checks etc before 3 pm start
3pm - guests seated and ready to listen to the performances from all WYM groups
15th December is prize-giving night - 5-7pm and please bring a plate to share
TREAT AT REHEARSAL THIS WEEK
Famous South Island Cheese Rolls
will be on sale this Friday from 3pm
Hot and tasty, be in quick!
Sounds like a lot of fun!
There are a couple of things to share with you, there always are dates to clarify and congratulations to offer, as well as changes to the team to inform you of and general reminders. Read on!
- Clarification of dates: last rehersal 8th December; concert Sunday 10th December at 3pm; awards and social: Friday evening the 15th of December
- Waitangi playout is on Sunday the 19th November at 11 am – we need numbers confirmed by Friday the second practice night of term, please advise you conductor of your intention to join the play-out
- Opononi concert band summer camp - 8 - 12 Jan 2018 - super successful every year, the web-site has initial details and more will be added very soon www.whangareiyouthmusic.co.nz
- Start date for 2018 will be Friday the 9th Feb 2018 (Wednesday 7 Feb for choir)
- The recent concert also featured WYM youth choir and strings groups that both did an amazing recital - well done!
- Choir performed at the Northland Performing Arts Competition in the singing section and came in 2nd place - well done again!
Choir Master - Lisbe Jooste
- It is with great regret that our valued Lisbe needs to step down from her position as WYM Choir Master.
- Lisbe built the choir up from scratch over the past 2 years and has created a fantastic asset for youth singers in Whangarei. She has lead the choir in competitions, concerts and public sing-outs which have been very successful and delighted many an audience.
- We sincerely thank her for all her hard work and expertise in this area at WYM. She will be missed and we wish her all the best.
- Lisbe has kindly arranged for her accomplished pianist and also a conductor Robin - to step into her shoes at least for Term 4 of this Year. We thank and appreciate Robin for doing this willingly.
- We need to up our game in keeping the kitchen clean – please bring own drink-bottle and wash up all the dishes if you see more than 4 dishes in sink – even if they are not your dishes!
- Term 4 fees due now, term 3 fees are overdue, please check at the front desk, or with Lucy if you are unsure if you are paid up.
I think that is everything, we do have a new secretary transitioning into this role, you will hear from her very soon,
Ka kite ano!
WYM Secretary (departing!)
I gave out the wrong dates for the end of year events, I am sorry about that, and I want to correct the record. Please note these important dates in your family calendars:
Last rehearsal for 2017 Friday 8 December (usual times)
End of year concert Sunday 10 December (3pm)
Awards night/break-up Friday 15 December (times to be confirmed...)
There are quite a few things to let you know about, some I should have mentioned earlier, apologies for that delay. Read on ...
- The main entrance to the Old Library on Friday nights is now the side entrance (this I should have mentioned last week...ooops.) This is a trial, now that explorer strings has taken over the main room. Feedback welcome!
- Busking opportunity at Mark and Dorothy Gatland’s house on a garden open day Saturday 25 November 10 - 3pm, Manganese Road, contact Bill Mallet on 021 231 1070
- Final rehearsal night for the year is Friday 8 December
- End of year concert Friday 15 December at 3pm, Forum North
- End of year 'do' following the concert at the Old Library from 5 - 7pm, bring a plate and a musical item to perform
- Reminder please check that your membership fees are all paid up. This includes choir members who meet on Wednesday and may forget easier😉
- Same with those of you who hire instruments please check fees are paid.
- Congratulations to Bella and Maia-Dean on passing their grade 5 theory exams - this I should have sent a while ago, well done girls!.
- And same with this - a big congratulations to M+Ms for making it to the semi-finals of the NZCT Chamber music competition in Wellington, and to Maia-Dean for also getting to the grand final with Trio Astor.
- We start rehearsals in 2018 on Friday 9 February - mark your calendars....
- Please can we ask that you supervise your children who are not musicians yet - we want to create a safe, well-looked after space for everyone to enjoy
- Last but not least my time is up and we are looking for a new secretary for WYM. This is a great opportunity to work in with a great committee. This position includes a variety of tasks, like updating the web-site, taking meeting minutes, sending out newsy updates, checking incoming and outgoing mail. Send all your enquiries to email@example.com
That's all folks!
Greetings musicians and musician supporters,
Please arrive 15 minutes earlier than you usually do on Friday this week for group photographs🎬.
We are really keen to have current photos of each group on our web-site and we think this is a good way to achieve that.
Please look for Bella who will take the photographs, she will meet you outside the library front door if your group meets in daylight. And she will meet you inside the library if your group meets after dark.
Bella will be the one with the camera👍.
Thanks so much, and keep up all the good practice and music!
Please note there will be no youth music group rehearsals on Friday this week (4 August). This is because the Old Library will be taken up with visiting Concert Band Festival groups.
Looking forward to hearing some of the visiting groups performances, visit www.festival.nzcba.org for more details.
See you the week after,
Hi there musicians and musician supporters,
Are you ready for Term 3? Rehearsals start this week on Friday 28 July, check the web-site for group times if you need to. Actually, choir started tonight, hope your rehearsal was fun, choir!
I have a couple of things to draw your attention to:
- Working B on Saturday this week, 9am - to spruce the Old Library up for the Concert Band Festival. Please come and bring your cleaning gears with you.
- Volunteer and be part of this National Concert Band Festival, lots of different ways to contribute your time on or before the event on 3 - 5 August. Please contact Mark Douglas on 027 704 8429 now!
That all folks, but these items do need your support. Even a couple of hours of your precious time for the Working B or to help run the Concert Band Festival will be super-appreciated. Usually people who volunteer say it was well worth it!
The WYM Committee are heavily involved in supporting the New Zealand Concert Band Festival from 3 - 5 August in Whangarei and our concert band is playing along side the other 30 groups - WOW! There are several ways that you can get behind this exciting event, please take the opportunity to participate, I think it will be a lot of fun.
Don’t forget final rehearsal for the term is this Friday!
Then it all about enjoying the school holidays and back into rehearsal on Friday 28 July.
Entries close for the 2017 Northland Performing Arts Competitions on Friday this week, the 23rd of June! Do not miss out! (Penaltys apply for late entries)
Registration forms are on the Piano and Instrumental pages of the website: www.northlandperformingarts.org.nz
Enter online now!